Meat and Pear Open Ravioli
- 3tablespoons butter
- 2ounces pancetta or bacon
- 1 sweet sausage
- 4ounces roast beef, thinly sliced, then cut into strips
- 1large pear, thinly sliced and unpeeled
- 2tablespoons golden raisins
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 3-4 small, fresh sage leaves
- 1pound calamarata (or other tube-style pasta)
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Grana padano, or other aged cheese
- Ground cinnamon
- Fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 amaretti cookies, crushed
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until it is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausage from the casing and crumble it into the pan; cook until browned. Add the beef, pear, raisins, garlic, and sage. Cook the mixture until the pears are soft.
- Meanwhile, boil the pasta in salted water until it is almost al dente. Drain and toss into the sauce along with a few tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Stir well and cook, adding more cooking liquid if needed, until the pasta is al dente. Stir in the zest and season with grated cheese, cinnamon, nutmeg, and parsley to taste. Season with salt and pepper and serve the pasta topped with a sprinkling of amaretti crumbs.
—Reprinted with permission from Pasta Modern: New and Inspired Recipes from Italy. Copyright 2013, Stewart, Tabori & Chang.