Mayan Turkey Salad
- Yield 6 servings
A tasty turkey salad with black beans, corn and red and green peppers.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 -- (11-ounce) can corn with red and green peppers
- 1 -- (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 -- medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 -- (4-ounce) can sliced black olives, well drained
- 1 -- small onion, diced fine
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 pound turkey breast cutlets, cut into 1/4-inch x 1-inch strips
- 1 -- large avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 -- medium papaya, seeded, chopped and diced
- 6 cups leaf lettuce, washed, dried and chilled
- 2 cups white corn chips
- To prepare the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, oregano, salt and lemon rind. Blend well
- To prepare the salad, in a large bowl, combine corn, black beans, jalapeno pepper, olives, onion and 1/4 cup vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- To prepare the turkey, in a large bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, lemon pepper and garlic salt. Add turkey strips and toss to coat well.
- In large non-stick skillet, over medium-high heat, saute turkey in oil 4 to 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink.
- Just before serving, add turkey, avocado and papaya to the corn/bean mixture. Arrange 1 cup lettuce on each of 6 plates. Top with 2 cups salad and drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Garnish with corn chips.