Mayan Hot Chocolate with Butternut Squash
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Loaded with calcium and beta-carotene (from the squash), this thick creamy drink is substantial enough for dessert.
Loaded with calcium and beta-carotene (from the squash), this thick creamy drink is substantial enough for dessert. Canned pumpkin will work fine too. The ranch uses Ibarra Mexican Chocolate in this drink, but we've simplified it with semi-sweet chocolate.
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 1/2 cups 1 percent milk, divided
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cardamom
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Cut squash in half; place halves, cut sides down, in a roasting pan. Add water to a depth of 1-inch. Bake 30 minutes, or until squash is tender. Discard seeds, and scoop out pulp to measure 2/3 cup. Puree squash in a blender with 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
- In a large saucepan, mix remaining 2 cups milk, chocolate and spices. Heat over a double boiler or in a heavy-bottomed pan, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted and creamy. Remove from heat and whisk in pureed squash mixture. Reheat.
Recipe by Chef Jesus Gonzalez.