Maui Cheesesteak Sliders
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- Sautéed Onions:
- 1 large Maui onion (or two medium), sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sautéed Mushrooms:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 pound (3 8-oz. Pkgs.) sliced white or crimini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/16 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- Sautéed Peppers:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/16 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Steak & King's Hawaiian Bread:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound lean beef tenderloin or sirloin, sliced very thin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 (12-pack) King's Hawaiian Sweet dinner rolls
- Heat butter and oil in large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add onions. Once onions are translucent, reduce heat to medium-low and cook slowly until golden brown and caramelized, about 45 minutes; stir occasionally.
- While onions are cooking, heat oil and butter in another large sauté pan set over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are golden brown and liquid has evaporated.
- Season with garlic salt and pepper to taste. Then, remove from pan and set aside.
- In same large sauté pan, heat oil over high heat.
- Add peppers and cook until soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine peppers, mushrooms and onions into one pan and stir until well mixed. Keep other pan to cook steak.
Steak & King’s Hawaiian Bread
- Heat a heavy griddle pan over medium heat. Wipe griddle with a drizzle of oil using a paper towel.
- Cook thinly-sliced steaks until brown but not crisp, about 2 minutes on each side. While browning, sprinkle them with garlic salt and pepper. Cook steaks in single layers in 2 batches and tenderize by cutting into meat with the side of your spatula while they cook.
- Carefully remove the entire 12-pack of rolls from the packaging without separating rolls.
- Make one horizontal slice through the entire dozen, separating the tops from the bottoms. Brush the insides with olive oil. Under the broiler, toast both sides until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes.
- When all of the meat is cooked, cover each bread slice with provolone cheese.
- Combine the mushrooms/onions/peppers mixture with the meat in the griddle and mix together with your spatula. Pile the filling on top of the cheese on each bread slice. The heat from the meat and onions will melt the cheese.