Mashed Yams with Maple and Ginger
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
You can bake the yams 3 to 4 days before making the mash. After baking, cool and peel potatoes and refrigerate until ready to mash. For a real time-saver, make this dish ahead and transfer it to an oven-safe casserole. Just before serving, add a generous sprinkle of brown sugar over the top and place in the oven to heat. I like to garnish the potatoes with a handful of sun-dried cranberries.
- 4tablespoons unsalted butter or soy margarine, melted
- 1/2cup maple syrup
- 1/4cup orange juice
- 1tablespoon dried orange peel
- 2teaspoons cinnamon
- 2tablespoons grated ginger root
- 1/4cup light cream
- 5pounds warm, peeled and cooked sweet potatoes or yams*
- Combine all ingredients except potatoes in a small saucepan and allow to blend. Place potatoes in a bowl and mash. Fold in melted butter mixture and continue to mash with a potato masher or whisk.
Note: To cook sweet potatoes or yams: Bake in a 375F oven 35 to 40 minutes until tender. Cool slightly before peeling and mashing.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 276
- Fat 7g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 66mg
- Carbohydrate 51g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugars 27g
- Protein 4g