Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream and Mushrooms
- Yield 8 servings
A new spin of classic mashed potatoes stars sour cream, fresh mushrooms and fresh dill.
- 5 pounds russet or all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into large cubes
- Salt, to taste
- 5 tablespoons butter or butter/canola oil substitute
- 2/3 cup 2 percent milk, warmed
- 1 cup fat-free sour cream
- 6 sprigs dill, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water 20 minutes until tender. Drain potatoes and return to same pot. Stir over medium heat 1 minute until excess moisture evaporates; remove from heat. Add 4 tablespoons butter to potatoes and mash well. Add 2/3 cup milk and mix, adding more milk gradually to reach desired consistency. Add sour cream and dill. Season potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and saute 2 minutes until tender. Fold into potatoes and serve.