Mashed Potatoes with Kale and Olive Oil
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3pounds all-purpose potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 4tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1bunch kale, large stems stripped and discarded
- 1/2cup warm whole milk or light cream
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 scallions, chopped
- 1/4cup shredded Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add a pinch salt. Bring potatoes to a boil and cook 20 minutes until tender. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and chopped kale; saute over medium heat 4 minutes until softened. Add sauteed kale to bowl with the potatoes.
- Mash potatoes and kale together with a potato masher or fork. Slowly add warm milk and combine. Season with salt and pepper; mix just until creamy with a few chunks. Place potatoes in a serving bowl. Make a well in center and pour remaining olive oil over top. Sprinkle with scallions and parmesan cheese, if using.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 428
- Fat 16g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 88mg
- Carbohydrate 64g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 9g