Mashed Orange Bourbon Yams with Dried Cranberries
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
There is no better food pairing than oranges and cranberries.
Bake the potatoes early in the day and allow them to cool before peeling and mashing. Reheat the mashed mixture over medium heat. If using a food processor, puree all the ingredients except the cranberries. Then fold the berries in. I sometimes add chopped pecans to this recipe for added texture. The bourbon is optional, but it gives the potatoes a smoky, rich flavor.
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup bourbon, optional
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Prick potatoes with a fork. Place potatoes in a 375F oven 50 minutes until tender. Peel the potatoes and place them in a large bowl or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the brown sugar, orange juice, condensed milk, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and bourbon, if using. Mix and mash in the bowl or process until smooth. If using a food processor, remove them from food processor to a bowl.
- Fold in cranberries. Place in a casserole or baking dish and place in a 350F oven 15 to 20 minutes until warmed through and serve or reduce heat to 200 degrees keep warm until ready to serve.