Mashed Orange Bourbon Yams with Dried Cranberries
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Bake the potatoes early in the day and allow them to cool before peeling and mashing. Reheat the mashed mixture over medium heat. If using a food processor, puree all the ingredients except the cranberries. Then fold the berries in. I sometimes add chopped pecans to this recipe for added texture. The bourbon is optional, but it gives the potatoes a smoky, rich flavor.
- 4pounds sweet potatoes or yams
- 1/3cup light brown sugar
- 2tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4cup bourbon, optional
- 1/3cup dried cranberries
- Prick potatoes with a fork. Place potatoes in a 375F oven 50 minutes until tender. Peel the potatoes and place them in a large bowl or food processor fitted with the metal blade. Add the brown sugar, orange juice, condensed milk, butter, cinnamon, vanilla and bourbon, if using. Mix and mash in the bowl or process until smooth. If using a food processor, remove them from food processor to a bowl.
- Fold in cranberries. Place in a casserole or baking dish and place in a 350F oven 15 to 20 minutes until warmed through and serve or reduce heat to 200 degrees keep warm until ready to serve.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 183
- Fat 1g
- Saturated Fat .7g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 47mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 23g
- Protein 3g