Martha’s Cabbage Stew
- Yield 10 to 12 servings
"This is an easy recipe for a small group of friends on a cold day. It is delicious with cornbread muffins. All my friends love it."
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 quart tomatoes
- 1 (40 1/2-ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, soy sauce and vinegar
- Brown beef in large heavy pot or skillet.
- Add onions, celery, and cabbage. Cook and stir until cabbage is light brown (glassy looking).
- Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: A food processor with the shredding blade attached makes shredding cabbage a snap.
—Martha Watkins, Natural Bridge Station, Va.