Roasted Chicken Marrakesh
- Yield servings
- 3 cups pitted mixed olives
- 6 -- garlic cloves
- 1 -- lemon, zested & halved
- 1 -- orange, zested & halved
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 -- 4 5 pound roasting chicken
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- 10 -- fresh mint leaves
- Apricot Couscous:
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups instant couscous
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, rough chopped
Pre-heat oven to 450F.
In a food processor, pulse 2 cups of olives, 2 garlic gloves, lemon zest, orange zest, cinnamon, cumin, paprika, black pepper, and olive oil until a paste is formed. Rinse chicken inside and out and pat completely dry. Place chicken in a roasting pan. Stuff the remaining garlic cloves, lemon and orange halves, onion, and mint into chicken cavity. Rub chicken all over with olive mixture and tie legs together with string. Roast chicken 20 minutes before reducing temperature to 375F. Continue roasting for about 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 180F. Transfer chicken to a cutting board or platter and tent with foil. Allow chicken to rest for 15-20 minutes before carving.
For couscous, bring orange juice and 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Remove from heat and stir in couscous and 1/2 cup of chopped apricots. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff couscous with fork and stir in almonds, chopped mint, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
Serve carved chicken over a bed of couscous and garnish with remaining olives, apricots, and parsley. Enjoy!