- Yield 1
Clementine marmalade makes a particularly good filling for these springy muffins, but any citrus flavor works well.
- 1 1/8 cups superfine sugar
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup marmalade
- Preheat oven to 400F, and line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cases.
- Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk.
- Sift together the flour and salt and fold into the creamed butter mixture with alternate spoonfuls of buttermilk. Finally stir in the orange zest.
- Divide half of the mixture between the 12 muffin cases. Put a teaspoon of marmalade in the center or each one and top with the remaining mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well risen and springy to the touch. The jammy centers will be very hot, so let the muffins cool a little before tasting them.
Reprinted with permission from Alison Walker’s A Country Cook’s Kitchen (Rizzoli, 2012.)