Marinated Shrimp and Mango Salad
- Yield: 6 main-course or 12 appetizer servings
- 2pounds large peeled raw shrimp (or thawed and completely dried)
- 1teaspoon canola oil
- 2bunches (8 cups) watercress
- 1cup packed fresh coriander (cilantro) sprigs
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2large ripe mangoes, peeled and cut into thin strips
- Shrimp Marinade:
- 2teaspoons each ground cumin, ground coriander and paprika
- 2/3cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2tablespoons minced ginger root
- 1tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped, or 1 tbsp chopped bottled peppers
- Grated rind of 1 lime
- 1/4teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2cup mango chutney
- 1/3cup fresh lime juice
- 3tablespoons canola oil
- 1dash hot pepper sauce
- Shrimp Marinade: In small nonstick skillet, dry-roast cumin, coriander and paprika over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes or until darkened slightly and fragrant. Let cool. In large bowl, stir together yogurt, gingerroot, garlic, jalapeño peppers, lime rind, roasted spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Add shrimp; mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or for up to 1 day.
- Dressing: In food processor, purée chutney. Add lime juice, oil and hot pepper sauce; process to mix. Set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook shrimp and marinade, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque.
- In large bowl, toss together watercress, coriander, red peppers, mangoes, shrimp and any marinade left in the pan, and dressing. Arrange on individual salad plates.
Recipes reprinted with permission from Lighthearted at Home: The Very Best of Anne Lindsay by Anne Lindsay (Wiley).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 391
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 287mg
- Sodium 776mg
- Potassium 841mg
- Carbohydrate 42g
- Fiber 5g
- Protein 35g