Marinated Italian Vegetable Salad
- Yield 6 to 10 servings
This fresh vegetable salad makes a great side dish.
- 3 or 4 -- garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 small dried hot red chilies
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1-1 1/2 cups peeled carrots, sliced thick
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 4 cups cauliflower sections
- 3/4 cup celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 -- red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons capers, well drained
- 1 cup assorted imported olives
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place garlic, chilies and bay leaf in a large bowl. Bring about 3 quarts of salted water to a boil in a pot, drop in carrots, and cook until crisp-tender. Lift from water with a slotted spoon, drain, drop into bowl with the garlic mixture. Pour vinegar over and stir. Repeat with califlower and celery, stirring each into the vinegar, garlic and herb mixture while hot.
- Add red peppers, capers, olives and olive oil and let cool to room temperature before covering. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Allow to return to room temperature and adjust seasoning, if necessary, before serving. Serve with cold meats, marinated mushrooms, and artichoke hearts as an antipasto.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tyler’s And Roses for the Table (The Junior League of Tyler, Texas 1997).