Marinated Italian Vegetable Salad
- Yield: 6 to 10 servings
- 3 or 4-- garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2small dried hot red chilies
- 1-- bay leaf
- 1-1 1/2cups peeled carrots, sliced thick
- 3/4cup white wine vinegar
- 4cups cauliflower sections
- 3/4cup celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-- red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2tablespoons capers, well drained
- 1cup assorted imported olives
- 1cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Place garlic, chilies and bay leaf in a large bowl. Bring about 3 quarts of salted water to a boil in a pot, drop in carrots, and cook until crisp-tender. Lift from water with a slotted spoon, drain, drop into bowl with the garlic mixture. Pour vinegar over and stir. Repeat with califlower and celery, stirring each into the vinegar, garlic and herb mixture while hot.
- Add red peppers, capers, olives and olive oil and let cool to room temperature before covering. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Allow to return to room temperature and adjust seasoning, if necessary, before serving. Serve with cold meats, marinated mushrooms, and artichoke hearts as an antipasto.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tyler’s And Roses for the Table (The Junior League of Tyler, Texas 1997).