Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes in White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/2cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4cup packed light brown sugar
- 1cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3-- garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3-- shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- -- Kosher salt to taste
- -- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5-- heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Mix the vinegar and brown sugar in a bowl. Let stand until the brown sugar is completely dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil, garlic, shallots and basil. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Add the tomato wedges and toss gently to coat. Chill for 4 hours before serving. Serve using a slotted spoon.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Historical League of Tempe’s Tastes & Treasures (the Historical League, Inc., Tempe, Arizona, 2007).