Marinated Heirloom Tomatoes in White Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Yield 6 servings
Taste the freshness of summer in these deliciously marinated tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 -- garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 -- shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- -- Kosher salt to taste
- -- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 5 -- heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- Mix the vinegar and brown sugar in a bowl. Let stand until the brown sugar is completely dissolved. Whisk in the olive oil, garlic, shallots and basil. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Add the tomato wedges and toss gently to coat. Chill for 4 hours before serving. Serve using a slotted spoon.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Historical League of Tempe’s Tastes & Treasures (the Historical League, Inc., Tempe, Arizona, 2007).