Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Mushrooms
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1 1/2cups vegetable oil
- 1/2cup soy sauce
- 1/2cup honey
- 1/4cup wine vinegar
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3teaspoons ginger
- 3pounds flank steak, trimmed of excess fat
- lpound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Up to 3 days before serving, combine first 7 ingredients in a large pan. Add steak and turn over to fully coat. Spoon marinade over the steak. Cover and refrigerate, turning steak several times each day.
- On the day of serving, remove steak from marinade. Grill over VERY HOT charcoals, cooking 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Baste the steak with marinade only when almost done. Locate the grain which runs the length of the steak. Holding a sharp knife at an angle almost horizontal to the cutting board, slice 1/4-inch slices totally on the bias. Slice diagonally through to the bottom. With a basting tube remove the bottom portion of the marinade which has separated from the oil. Discard oil. Add mushrooms to marinade and heat until mushrooms are tender. Serve sauce with the steak.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Little Rocks’ Traditions, A Taste of the Good Life (Junior League of Little Rock Publications, Little Rock, Arkansas, 1983).
For more information on why meat needs to rest after cooking, watch this video for tips from the “Butcher Boys” of Porter Road Butcher in Nashville, TN