Marinated Carrot Salad
- Yield: servings
Be sure not to overcook the carrots. They should be tender but not mushy. The carrots need to marinate at least overnight in the dressing, but the salad keeps well in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks.
- 2pounds carrots, peeled and sliced about 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato soup (not condensed)
- 1/2cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into small dice
- 1 large yellow or white onion, finely chopped
- 1/4cup finely chopped parsley or snipped chives
- Cook the carrots in a large pot of lightly salted boiling water until just tender when tested with the tip of a sharp knife, about 5 minutes.
- While the carrots are cooking, combine the soup, vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper, bell pepper, and onion in a large bowl.
- Drain the carrots, and add them while hot to the dressing. Stir well and marinate at room temperature at least 2 hours. When cool, cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 day before serving.
- Stir in the parsley or chives.
- When serving, be sure to dish up both the carrots and spoonfuls of the delicious marinade.