- 1/2teaspoon fennel seeds
- -- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 15-- basil leaves, shredded
- 2teaspoons chopped oregano
- 2teaspoons best-quality extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 2teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1-- garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2teaspoon Maldon sea salt
- -- Black pepper
- 8 to 9ounces buffalo mozzarella
- 2medium ripe tomatoes (red, yellow or mixed)
Scatter the fennel seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat and dry-roast until they begin to pop. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush roughly. Place the crushed seeds in a small bowl and add the remaining marinade ingredients.
Break the mozzarella roughly with your hands. Smear it with the marinade and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
To serve, cut the tomatoes into wedges and plate along with the marinated mozzarella. Drizzle with extra olive oil and serve.
Reprinted with permission from Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi (Chronicle Books, 2011).