Marinated Buffalo Mozzarella and Tomato
- Yield 4 servings
Ripe summery tomatoes and good-quality mozzarella are a must for this simple starter.
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- -- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 15 -- basil leaves, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- 2 teaspoons best-quality extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to finish
- 2 teaspoons grapeseed oil
- 1 -- garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt
- -- Black pepper
- 8 to 9 ounces buffalo mozzarella
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes (red, yellow or mixed)
- Scatter the fennel seeds in a small frying pan over medium heat and dry-roast until they begin to pop. Transfer to a mortar and pestle and crush roughly. Place the crushed seeds in a small bowl and add the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Break the mozzarella roughly with your hands. Smear it with the marinade and set aside for 15 to 30 minutes.
- To serve, cut the tomatoes into wedges and plate along with the marinated mozzarella. Drizzle with extra olive oil and serve.