Marinated Bean Salad
- Yield 8 servings
I got this recipe for bean salad from my aunt many years ago. It's been ideal for family get-togethers, church suppers and other special meals.
- 1 (15-ounce) can English peas, drained
- 1 (11-ounce) can white shoepeg corn, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can French-style green beans, drained
- 1 (2-ounce) jar pimentos, chopped and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Combine canned and fresh vegetables in a medium-size bowl.
- In another bowl, combine marinade ingredients and heat in microwave until sugar is dissolved. Allow marinade to cool, then pour over vegetables.
- Refrigerate salad for 24 hours and drain off marinade before serving. This salad keeps in refrigerator for about one week.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Substitute fresh garden vegetables for canned vegetables.
—Alice Pouncey, Decatur, MS