Mardi Gras Sweet Potatoes
- Yield 9 servings
Instead of lemon juice, try tossing the apples in lemon-lime soda. This will keep the apples from turning brown and will add additional sweetness.
- 3 pounds Oak Grove sweet potatoes
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and place in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into wedges.
- Peel the apples and cut into wedges. Toss the apples in the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Alternate layers of the sweet potatoes and apples in a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with the pecans.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, honey, rum and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour over the layers. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
NOTE: You may use any firm tart apples.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)