Mardi Gras Sweet Potatoes
- Yield: 9 servings
- 3pounds Oak Grove sweet potatoes
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 1/4cup lemon juice
- 1 1/4cups chopped pecans
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2cup honey
- 2tablespoons dark rum (optional)
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes and place in a single layer in a baking pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into wedges.
- Peel the apples and cut into wedges. Toss the apples in the lemon juice in a bowl.
- Alternate layers of the sweet potatoes and apples in a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle with the pecans.
- Combine the butter, brown sugar, honey, rum and cinnamon in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer until slightly thickened, stirring constantly.
- Pour over the layers. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.
NOTE: You may use any firm tart apples.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Leage of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)