- Yield 20 to 25 pieces
The cream cheese in these low-fat brownies gives them a lighter chocolate flavor.
- 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and 3/4 cup sugar until creamy. Add egg and 1 egg white, blending well.
- In a measuring cup, combine flour and cocoa. Gradually add flour mixture to margarine mixture. Add vanilla.
- In another mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until creamy. Add remaining egg white and continue to beat until well mixed. Pour two-thirds of the chocolate batter into bottom of baking pan. Spread cream cheese batter over, and then spread with remaining chocolate batter. Swirl a table knife through batter, making a marbleized effect. Bake 30 minutes, or until top of brownie springs back when touched. Let cool 20 minutes on a wire rack before cutting to give the cream cheese time to set.