- Yield: 8 servings
- 8 ears of corn
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2cup chopped seeded and peeled tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cajun or Creole seasoning to taste
- Sugar (optional)
- Remove the husks and silks from the corn. Using a sharp knife, cut the kernels into a bowl. Scrape the ears with the knife to release the liquid.
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the undrained corn and cook for a few seconds, tossing constantly.
- Stir in the onion and bell pepper. Reduce the heat to low. Cook, covered, until the corn is tender and the onion and bell pepper are soft.
- Add the tomato, salt, pepper and Cajun seasoning. Cook, covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., Cooking in High Cotton, the Cotton Country Collection (the Junior League of Monroe, Inc., 2008)