Maple Sweet Potato Pie
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
- Prep 45 mins
- Cook 70 mins
Maple syrup gives this sweet potato pie a sweet and rich flavor.
- 3 extra-large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk, plus 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
- 1 (10-inch) pie shell, unbaked
- 2 1/2 cups fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened whipped cream
- Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water; bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. Add ginger, cinnamon and cloves; whip until almost smooth. Mashed sweet potatoes should measure about 1 1/2 cups. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. In medium bowl combine whole eggs, egg yolk and brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Add butter, vanilla and syrup; blend well. Sprinkle pecans evenly over pie shell; pour filling into shell. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; gradually add sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled sweet potato mixture. Gently spoon sweet potatoes on top of mixture in pie shell; smooth surface with spatula. Bake at 350F until filling is firm, about 20 minutes. Cool. Serve cold, garnished with whipped cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tampa, Inc.’s Tampa Treasures (Tampa, Fl., 1992).