Maple Sweet Potato Pie
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 70 mins
- 3 extra-large eggs, plus 1 egg yolk, plus 2 egg whites
- 1/2cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 1/2teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2cups pecan pieces
- 1 (10-inch) pie shell, unbaked
- 2 1/2cups fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 1/4teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/3cup sugar
- 1cup unsweetened whipped cream
- Place sweet potatoes in large saucepan; cover with water; bring to boil over medium heat. Cook until tender, about 15 minutes; drain. Add ginger, cinnamon and cloves; whip until almost smooth. Mashed sweet potatoes should measure about 1 1/2 cups. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. In medium bowl combine whole eggs, egg yolk and brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Add butter, vanilla and syrup; blend well. Sprinkle pecans evenly over pie shell; pour filling into shell. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites until frothy; gradually add sugar; continue beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into cooled sweet potato mixture. Gently spoon sweet potatoes on top of mixture in pie shell; smooth surface with spatula. Bake at 350F until filling is firm, about 20 minutes. Cool. Serve cold, garnished with whipped cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tampa, Inc.’s Tampa Treasures (Tampa, Fl., 1992).