Maple-Glazed Baby Carrots with Pecans
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 30 mins
A sweet-savory side dish.
In case you're wondering, the only thing 'baby' about baby carrots is the name. They're cut from regular-size carrots.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- Heat butter in a large nonstick skillet. Add carrots and mix to lightly coat with butter. Add broth, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Cover, bring to a boil and cook 6 minutes.
- Uncover and boil, stirring often, until carrots are tender and liquid reduces to a glaze, 15 to 20 minutes. (At this point, carrots can be kept at room temperature up to 2 hours. To reheat, add 1/4 cup water and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until carrots are hot and water evaporates, about 5 minutes.) Stir in pecans.
Recipe adapted with permission from Rick Rodgers’ Thanksgiving 101 (William Morrow, 2007).