Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Yield 8 servings
This easy-to-make clam chowder can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the freezer.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 2 -- bay leaves
- 2 -- (28-ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 4 -- boiled potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6 -- carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 5 -- (6 1/2-ounce) cans chopped clams
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a soup pan. Add celery and onion and cook until onion is transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Add other ingredients, except clams, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add clams and heat thoroughly.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Annapolis’ Of Tide Thyme(the Junior League of Annapolis, Maryland, 1995).