Manhattan Clam Chowder
- Yield: 8 servings
- 3tablespoons butter
- 2cups chopped yellow onion
- 1cup chopped celery
- 5cups chicken broth
- 2teaspoons ground thyme
- 2-- bay leaves
- 2-- (28-ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 4-- boiled potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 6-- carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1/2teaspoon ground white pepper
- 5-- (6 1/2-ounce) cans chopped clams
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a soup pan. Add celery and onion and cook until onion is transparent, about 10 minutes.
- Add other ingredients, except clams, and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add clams and heat thoroughly.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Annapolis’ Of Tide Thyme(the Junior League of Annapolis, Maryland, 1995).