Mango Tarte Tatin
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 35 mins
Perfect for Spring, packaged puff pastry and ripe mangoes star in this new take on a classic French dessert.
- 4 ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced away from pit
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime rind
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 (10 x 15-inch) sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Cut mangoes into 1-inch-thick strips and toss with nutmeg and lime zest. Set aside.
- Place sugar and water in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and cook over medium heat until sugar begins to caramelize, 8 to10 minutes. Add butter and stir to combine. Cook until caramel is golden brown, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Place mango slices in pan in a circular pattern, overlapping slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Place pastry sheet on a floured surface and roll into a 12-inch circle, about 1/8-inch thick. Cut away any excess pastry. Place pastry round over mangoes. Tuck in or trim as needed.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and continue baking 15 minutes longer, or until pastry is cooked golden brown. Let cool 1 hour. Place a plate or tray upside-down on top of the pan and flip both together. Tap pan to release tart. Slice into wedges to serve.
Recipe by Relish Cooking Show Chef Brian Morris