Mango Oat Breakfast Bars
- Yield 9 servings
- 3 large ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and pureed
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 3/4 cup cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Place pureed mango in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until excess liquid has cooked off and mixture is very thick but is still moist.
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray an 8-inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir together brown sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Add egg and vanilla and mix until smooth. Stir in flour, oat bran, cinnamon, baking soda and salt, then stir in oats. Spread into prepared pan, then spread mango mixture over top; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.
Recipe courtesy of the National Mango Board