Mango Macadamia Nut Rice
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Mango and nuts make this rice unusual -- and delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 (1-inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 1 pound basmati rice
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, soaked in 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add nuts; continuously shake pan until nuts are golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and place in a small bowl.
- Add all spices to pan; cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice. Add saffron and salt, stirring until rice is well coated.
- Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in mango, raisins and toasted nuts. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. Garnish with green onions.
Recipe by Chef Allen Susser, courtesy of the National Mango Board