Mango Bread with Whole Wheat Flour
- Yield 16 servings
The whole-wheat flour adds a rich nutty flavor, and sweet mangos keep this magnificent bread moist.
All-purpose flour may also be used, if desired. To make this bread year-round, look for mangos in a can or jar.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped mango
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven 350F. Coat 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In bowl, combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together oil, applesauce, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.Stir in mango and walnuts. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Holly Clegg’s Trim & Terrific Gulf Coast Favorites: Over 250 Easy Recipes from My Louisiana Kitchen, 2008.