- Yield 8 servings
Jazz up a classic blintz recipe with a creamy mango filling for an impressive breakfast or dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup clarified butter, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Manchego cheese
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground star anise
- To prepare pancakes, mix flour, 3 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, and cardamom in a medium bowl. Whisk in milk, 1 tablespoon butter, and the egg to make a smooth thin batter. Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- To cook pancakes, heat a non-stick crepe pan or small skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk batter, adding a tablespoon of water if it needs to be thinned slightly. Brush pan with butter. Working quickly, pour 2 tablespoons batter into hot pan, tilting to let the batter spread into a thin layer covering the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 1 minute, then turn and cook for about 1 minute more. Repeat with remaining butter and batter, keeping pancakes covered with a slightly moistened towel.
- To prepare the filling, whisk together cream cheese, ricotta cheese, Manchego cheese, egg yolks, vanilla, anise, and the remaining sugar and salt; carefully fold in mango.
- To assemble blintzes, spoon 2 large tablespoons of filling in the lower third of a pancake. Fold in the left and right edges about 2 inches into the center. Roll from the bottom edge to the top to make an egg roll shaped blintz. Repeat with remaining pancakes and filling.
- To finish blintzes, warm a medium size non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon of butter to pan; add blintzes and cook until golden brown on all sides (working in batches if necessary).
Recipe courtesy of the National Mango Board