Mango and Almond Yams
- Yield: 12 servings
- 4pounds yams or sweet potatoes
- 3/4cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons cinnamon
- 2medium ripe but firm mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4cup butter
- 3/4cup sliced almonds
- Peel yams and cut into 1/4-inch slices; drop into a bowl of water to keep from discoloring. Drain water and transfer to a large pot fitted with a steamer basket. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Stir together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Place half the yams, mangos, brown sugar mixture and butter in the dish. Repeat layers. (Dish may be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours at this point.) Bake at 350F for 20 minutes; sprinkle with almonds and cook for 20 minutes more.
Recipe courtesy of the National Mango Board