Mamma’s Banana Nut Bread
- Yield 12 servings
"Ever since I can remember, my mother has always enjoyed making banana nut bread. She loves to make it just as mush as she does sitting down and eating some."
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cut granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe banana
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray bottom of a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add granulated and brown sugars and beat well. Add egg, egg whites and vanilla and beat until blended. Add bananas and beat on high speed for 30 seconds.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with cream and ending with flour mixture. Mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pan. Bake about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack while still in pan. Remove from pan, cool completely on wire rack. Slice and serve with butter or jam if desired.
Recipe by Amber Sheriff, Cumming, Ga.