Mamma Fossa’s Northern Italian Risotto with Italian Sausage
- Yield 6 servings
"I hope you enjoy my Mamma's recipe for risotto."
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup white cooking wine
- 1 1/2 cups instant rice (risotto or orzo)
- 1 (4-ounce) can mushroom pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 6 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
- Remove the sausage from its casings. Brown it, and drain the grease. In a Dutch oven, heat the butter and olive oil, and saute the garlic and onion until golden. In the same pot, add the chicken stock, nutmeg, wine, sausage, rice, and mushrooms. Stir constantly to keep the rice from sticking. Add the tomato sauce and cheese near the end of cooking (when the rice softens). The tomato sauce will turn the rice a light pink. Add more cheese if desired.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Remember to stir constantly or the rice will stick. This makes a great meal when served with a salad and garlic bread.
Recipe by TomFossa, Claremore, Okla.