Mama’s Potato Salad
- Yield 12 servings
Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar flavor a boiled potatoes and fluffy egg mixture
"Everyone liked the way Mother combined egg yolks with the seasonings in this recipe. It gives the salad such a good taste. When I take it to covered dish luncheons, I'm always asked for the recipe. I get lots of compliments on the way it's put together."
- 3 to 3 1/2 pounds potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 6 hard-cooked (boiled) eggs
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Paprika
- Additional hard-cooked eggs, sliced (for garnish)
- In a large kettle, cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until tender. (Potatoes can be peeled and cubed before boiling to save cooking time.) Drain and cool.
- Separate hard-cooked egg yolks from whites. Set yolks aside. Chop whites and add to potatoes in a bowl. Add onion.
- In a small bowl, mash yolks. Stir in mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour over potato salad and toss well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Spoon into a serving bowl.
- Garnish with egg slices and paprika. Chill until serving time.
Mildred Sherrer, Bay City, Texas