Mama Esther’s Baked Custard
- Yield 6 servings
"This recipe is from my Swedish Grandmother. We called her Mama Esther. She would be so proud to know that after her death, this delicious custard is still a huge hit."
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Mix eggs, milk and sugar in a medium-size bowl until smooth.
- Pour into 6 (3-inch) ramekin dishes or custard cups. Dust with a pinch of nutmeg.
- Place the cups in an 8-by-11-inch glass baking dish filled halfway with water.
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until knife comes out clean when inserted in center.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: If you like vanilla, add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the uncooked egg mixture. This custard is good served cold as a light dessert.