Mama Bea’s Cheese Cookies
- Yield: 48 pieces
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted cake flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 5ounces New York extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 to 5 dashes of Tabasco sauce
- 1 1/4cups crisp rice cereal
- Sift the flour with the salt and red pepper into a bowl. Cream the butter, cheese and Tabasco sauce in a Mixmaster. Add the flour mixture. Stir in the cereal. Shape the mixture into small balls and arrange 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Press down on each with the bottom of a drinking glass to flatten. Bake at 350F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Pamela D. Lyle’s Da Cajn Critter; The Lifestyles, The Rules, and Makin’ Groceries (Lyles Ventures, LLC., New Orleans, Louisiana, 2008).