Mahammar (Pepper, Pomegranate and Walnut Dip)
- Yield 8 servings
A seasonal Mediterranean dip that's a healthy holiday treat.
- 2 red bell peppers, pith and seeds removed, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses or syrup, or other fruit syrup
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped black Greek-style olives
- Put peppers and garlic in a food processor and pulse until peppers are in small pieces.
- Add walnuts, breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper and salt and pulse until walnuts are roughly chopped.
- Stir in olive oil and pomegranate syrup. Adjust seasonings and gently fold in pomegranate seeds, mint and olives. Serve with cut-up vegetables sticks or toasted pita bread.
—Recipe adapted from Joan Nathan’s The New American Cooking (Alfred A. Knopf, 2005).