Mahammar (Pepper, Pomegranate and Walnut Dip)
- Yield: 8 servings
- 2 red bell peppers, pith and seeds removed, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1cup walnuts
- 1/2cup breadcrumbs
- 1dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons pomegranate molasses or syrup, or other fruit syrup
- 1/4cup fresh pomegranate seeds
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4cup chopped black Greek-style olives
- Put peppers and garlic in a food processor and pulse until peppers are in small pieces.
- Add walnuts, breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper and salt and pulse until walnuts are roughly chopped.
- Stir in olive oil and pomegranate syrup. Adjust seasonings and gently fold in pomegranate seeds, mint and olives. Serve with cut-up vegetables sticks or toasted pita bread.
—Recipe adapted from Joan Nathan’s The New American Cooking (Alfred A. Knopf, 2005).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 220
- Fat 18g
- Sodium 260mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 4g