Magic Lemon Pudding
- 4tablespoons butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1/2cup granulated sugar
- 2large eggs, separated
- 1/4cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4cup milk
- lemon or lime slices to decorate
Special equipment: 2-cup baking dish
Cook’s know-how: This “magic” pudding separates during cooking to form a cake topping with a tangy lemon sauce beneath.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the butter, lemon zest, and sugar into a bowl and beat together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks, flour, and lemon juice, and stir to combine. Gradually stir in the milk until evenly mixed/
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Gradually fold into the lemon mixture.
- Lightly butter the baking dish. Pour the lemon mixture into the dish and put the dish into a roasting pan. Add enough hot water to the roasting pan to come almost to the rim of the dish. Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake feels springy. Serve hot, decorated with lemon or lime slices. Leftovers are good cold.
Images reproduced by permission of DK, a division of Penguin Random House from Baking with Mary Berry. ©2016 by Mary Berry. All rights reserved.