- Yield 3
- 1 cup unsalted Real California butter
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of half lemon
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- In small saucepan, melt butter until light amber in color. Brush madeleine pan very lightly with melted butter and blot with a paper towel to remove excess butter. Set aside remaining butter left in saucepan. Dust pan lightly with small amount of flour and tap pan to remove excess.
- Place hazelnuts and 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar in food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until very fine.
- In large bowl, combine hazelnut mixture, remaining powdered sugar, flour, and salt. Add egg whites, vanilla, and lemon zest; whisk to combine. Add remaining melted butter and whisk until incorporated. Fill molds evenly with batter. Bake 14 to 18 minutes. Cool 2 minutes, and remove from pan. Cool completely on racks. Dust cookies with additional powdered sugar, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board