Macaroni and Cheese with Soymilk and Tomatoes
- Yield 4 servings
- 1 cup Soy 7 elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 1/4 cups plain soymilk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded American cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 medium tomato, sliced (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cook macaroni in unsalted water about 10 minutes or until tender, but still firm. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, for cheese sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion in margarine or butter until tender but not brown. Stir in flour and pepper. Add soymilk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Add American cheese, stirring until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni. Transfer mixture to 1-quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. If desired, arrange tomato slices atop macaroni for the last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe courtesy of The Soyfoods Council