Macaroni and Cheese Soup
- Yield 6 servings
This mild, creamy soup takes an old standby and adapts it into a great family meal, especially for the kids.
- 1 cup elbow pasta
- 1/2 cup finely chopped peeled carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 cups skim milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat pasteurized processed cheese spread
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen green beans, thawed
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook carrots and onion over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add milk and heat over low heat. Add cheese and white pepper and stir until cheese is melted.
- Combine cornstarch and water, mixing well, and stir into milk mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, about 8 minutes, until mixture thickens. Stir in pasta, corn and green beans, stirring constantly, until beans are tender, about 5 mintues.