Mac and Joe with Bechamel Sauce
- Sloppy Joe
- 4cups diced red onion
- 4cups diced green pepper
- 4cups diced red pepper
- 4pounds ground beef
- 2tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1/2tablespoon black pepper
- Crushed red pepper flakes, pinch
- 1tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2cups canned, diced tomatoes with juice
- 3tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2cup tomato paste
- 2cups ketchup
- Bechamel Sauce
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4cups whole milk, room temperature
- 1tablespoon salt
- 1/4cup Coleman's mustard powder
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- Macaroni and Cheese
- 4cups bechamel sauce
- 6cups grated sharp yellow cheddar
- 2cups grated sharp white cheddar
- 1cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2pound Velveeta
- 2tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1tablespoon hot sauce
- 2tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2cup heavy cream
- 12cups cooked pasta, like elbows or cavatappi
- Add beef to a large, hot skillet and cook until beef is cooked through but not brown.
- Remove beef with a slotted spoon, leaving fat behind. Add onions, green peppers and red peppers and cook until soft. Stir often for about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and stir for another 5 minutes. Return beef to pan along with all other ingredients except ketchup.
- Stir and cover. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook slowly for one hour.
- Remember to mix often. Add ketchup and continue cooking for 10 minutes more.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add flour slowly and whisk until smooth. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add mustard powder,salt and pepper and whisk well.
- Add milk slowly, whisking constantly.
- Bring to a slow simmer and cook for 10 minutes, whisking constantly. Set aside while assembling macaroni and cheese.
Macaroni & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Add all ingredients except the pasta.
- Put in oven and cook until cheeses are melted, about 10 minutes. Stir often. Add pasta and mix very thoroughly.
- Cook for 5 minutes and then stir well. Cook for 10 minutes more, or until top is golden and sides are bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
To serve use individual bowls. Spoon mac and cheese and sloppy joe side by side. Sprinkle mac and cheese with breadcrumbs if desired.
Recipe Courtesy of Schnippers