Ma Moore’s Peanut Butter Frosting
- Yield servings
"For every birthday of my mother's seven children the big decision had to be made. What kind of cake would each child want? For most of us, it was Chocolate cake or brownies with my mother's famous peanut butter frosting. She always made it from a special recipe that we didn't know about. It was the best around. Please give it a try and you will see that it is exceptional!"
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup skim milk (other types of milk can substitute)
- In a large bowl, mix the butter by hand with the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder. Stir in the vanilla. Add the peanut butter, and mix until the texture resembles small beads. Add the milk slowly, beating with a mixer until very creamy. Add up to 3 additional tablespoons of milk if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This icing is particularly good on brownies. It is so delicious that it would taste good straight out of the bowl.
Recipe by Don Moore, Rochester, N.Y.