Luscious Spicy Red Cabbage
- Yield 6 servings
"Every 3rd week the cook at DeGraff Hospital would prepare this dish. The scent would 'attack' your senses and the novelty of red cabbage and apples together got all the staff inquisitive. We all loved it and begged for her secret recipe. Just before she retired she gave me her 'secret' treat!"
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 pound red cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped unpeeled apple
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan, and saute the cabbage, apples, and onions for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar and brown sugar. Cook for 20 minutes more, until the vegetables are soft. Season with the salt and pepper.
- Lightly grease an ovenproof dish. Pour the vegetable mixture into the dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The following day, preheat the oven to 325F, and bake for 45 minutes.
Recipe by Alice Hayes, Sanborn, N.Y.