Luscious Apricot Bars
- Yield: servings
"I bake about 40 different kinds of cookies, cakes, and candy for the holidays. I start baking in October and freeze and give everyone plates of baked goods at Christmas. Luscious Apricot Bars is one recipe I always include."
- 1 (7-ounce) package dried apricots
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/3cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Combine the apricots and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat; drain well. Set aside.
- Combine the butter, granulated sugar, and 1 cup of the flour in a small bowl. Using a fork, mix until crumbly and press into the prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes,or until crust is lightly golden.
- Chop the apricots. Sift together the remaining 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Combine the brown sugar and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a fork until well blended. Add the flour mixture; blend well. Stir in the vanilla, walnuts, and chopped apricots. Spread evenly over the crust and bake 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into bars and roll in confectioners’ sugar.
Recipe by Barbara Peters, Salem, Ill.