Lovely Lemon Merinques
- Yield: 16 servings
"When I made these Lovely Lemon Meringues, everybody loved them and wanted the recipe."
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2cups sugar
- 1teaspoon cider vinegar
- 6 egg yolks
- Grated zest and juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1cup sugar
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 2cups whipping cream
- Fresh berries, optional
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- To prepare the meringues, place the egg whites in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks forms. Add the cream of tartar and gradually add 1 cup of the sugar, beating constantly. Add the vinegar and gradually add the remaining 1 cup sugar.
- Spoon into the prepared pan. Place in the oven and heat to 300 degrees F. Do not preheat the oven. Bake 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- To prepare the filling, combine the egg yolks, lemon juice, 1 cup sugar, and cornstarch in a medium saucepan. Whisk until well blended and place over medium heat. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat, stir in the grated lemon zest and cool completely.
- Pour the whipping cream into a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into the cooled egg yolk mixture.
- To assemble, spoon the whipped cream mixture on top of the cooled meringue. Spread evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24 hours. Cut into squares to serve. Serve with fresh berries, if desired.
Recipe by Karen Van Beek. Pipestone, Minn.