Louisiana Red Beans and Rice
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- 1pound dried red beans
- 2-- onions, chopped
- 1-- bell pepper, chopped
- 1pound sausage, or ham sliced
- -- Vegetable oil for sauteing
- 2-- garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-- bay leaf
- -- Salt and peppe to taste
- -- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 1-- (8-ounce) can tomato paste
- Rinse the beans thoroughly, Soak the beans in water to cover in a bowl for 8 to 12 hours; drain. Saute the onions, bell pepper and sausage in a small amount of oil in a stockpot until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Add the drained beans, bay leaf, salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constatnly to prevent the beans from sticking. Stir in the tomato paste. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 to 6 hours or until the beans are tender and the mixture is the desired consistency, adding additional water as needed. Remove the bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Greater Covington’s Roux To Do (Junior League of Greater Covington, Louisiana, 2004).