London Broil with Pineapple Salsa
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
The sweetness of the pineapple salsa enhances the flavors in this London Broil.
- Bourbon Marinade:
- 2 -- garlic cloves, crushed
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds flank steak
- Pineapple Salsa:
- 1 large pineapple
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- For the marinade, mash the garlic with salt until a paste forms. Combine the paste with the mustard, bourbon, brown sugar, onion, lemon juice, yogurt and olive oil in a large bowl and mix well.
- For the steak, add the flank steak to the marinade, turning to coat. Refrigerate, covered, for 4 hours or longer.
- For the salsa, peel the pineapple and cut out the eyes. Cut the pineapple into small chunks. Combine with the mint, sugar and vinegar in a medium bowl and mix well. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour or longer.
- To prepare, grill or broil the steak for 10 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reaches 130F. Let stand for 10 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal against the grain. Serve the steak with the salsa.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Forward Arts Foundation’s The Swan’s Palette(Atlanta, Georgia, 2000).